Friday, November 16, 2007

heartbreaker

Boy, that's a heart breaking story. After that first date we dated 5 weeks and then engaged. I was preparing to go on a mission and was dating a variety of boys. I had never given in to blind dates, but like Howard said, when I was told by a mutual friend he wanted to line me up I said, "oh yah I know Howard" and the friend also said Ted Hanson. I knew them both and thought they would both be fun.

In Dad's usually style he asked me out first. By the fourth week of dating Howard and others, I was beginning to feel uncomfortable about my mission call and asked the Bishop to hold the papers. The BIshop asked me if I had a boyfriend and I said, "No!" for I was preparing for a mission, but I did feel that I could marry one of the boys I was dating. That Saturday Howard asked if he could kiss me and I kept talking and changing the subject. He finally just grabbed me and kissed me!!!

I had also performed a scientific experiment that day. We had gone skiing and I thought that I could be friends with this guy forever, but did not feel sparks per say. So I accidently leaned into him on the ski slope and we both fell. Well as the story goes, "the snow melted around us!" So then that nite the first kiss!!

I went out with other boys the following week, and fasted three of the days. Not because of the kiss but because all of these guys were really awesome too. WHew!! He then made a date with me for Saturday night following priesthood session of conference and we invited alot of YA to go to conference with us in the Tabernacle. After the priesthood session we went to see his Chaplain and while he put me in the car I could over hear him say that he was going to marry me!!

THe next morning we had decided to go to conference fasting. The only ones that showed up was Thayne Gooch and his now girlfriend and us!! We got right up to the doors and did not get in so sat on the grass and listened on Temple Square. During a talk about families, by Marvin J Ashton the words went through my head, "He's going to ask you, what will you say?" and I thought to myself, "yes?" and recieved a firm witness it was right. At the same time Howard was staring at me with his cute mustache...I finally looked at him and he asked me!! I said a firm,"YES!"

He was a little shocked for he thought I did not know his intentions, seeing we had only kissed once. We thought we were so secretive, for Cindy and Thayne sat there and then has a picnic lunch with us and we did not say a word!! That night Howard asked for my hand with my father for two hours.

The next night he knelt in front of the Christus statue in the visitor center on Temple Square and asked me again, this time with a ring he had already bought. It was quite fun, telling all of the boys I had been dating.

I recieved funny responses, "WHo is the guy?" "Howard Burton," everyone in the valley knew of him. Or, "What!! you didn't even give me a chance!" or "Hey, I thought we had something going!!" My philosophy was this: I could date anyone I wanted as long as I didn't kiss them or lead them on. I kept everything platonic. I think that guy was leading himself on!! Being friendly was ok. So there you have it. We wanted a long engagement because everything had happened so fast but my dad had cancer and we didn't know how long he would be around.

Hence, ten weeks later we were married!! Nine months and two weeks later, Daniel was born. He was two weeks overdue!! Hey, would anyone argue that Daniel is a straightforward, sometimes impatient to get a task done, nonsensical kind of guy!!! We knew then why we were married so quickly. We had six beautiful children waiting: impatiently at that!!!

3 comments:

Daniel B. said...

Wow. These are great. I've never seen these stories in such great detail.

Sierra Natasha Camille Burton said...

Lets see if this works!

hollyctr said...

What a wonderful story!! It was about the same for Jim and I. I'm so glad that I found your blog, now I can keep up with you and your family! If you have a chance, check ours out, www.messecrew.blogspot.com

Love you!