Monday, September 15, 2008

Pinacle Peak Hike... gotta love those views

Just a note to let you all know that we have enjoyed the blue skies of our summer. David and I celebrated this with a quick hike up Pinacle Peak. As David noted about four minutes up the trail Mt Rainier quickly dominates the landscape and ultimately haunts one as it is in every look over your shoulder up the Tatoose Ridge trail. Its especially daunting to those of us that have not mastered its summit and recall the struggle and discouragement of failed attempts. Someday...



This picture of Mt Adams on the far horizon was really taken as I realized that it is the Goat Rocks to the left. The Goat Rocks was the heart of our High Adventure last summer as we hiked the 30 plus miles along the Pacific Crest Trail. We passed below these peaks on two cloudy, windy but spectacular days.
I said a short prayer of gratitude for my parents as I trotted down the trail Saturday, for they instilled in me a deep love and appreciation for the beauty and sanctity of nature. I think I realized it last month visiting Utah but understood it a little better again in these far off northwest mountains. What a gift to be able to walk the trails and beaches of this country and know there is a God who has created this for us to find Him. For this knowledge and faith I thank my wonderful parents.

David was not really mad here, his comtemplative mood was just captured by my wondering camera. He is such a strong hiker. We passed two teams of climbers that had "roped up" to make this summit. He led me by a good 50 yards ....
I took this picture to remind me of the mountain beyond mountains of this area and this life. So many times we climb a hill or challenge only to find that it is just one hill in a series that stretches to the horizon. And perhaps that is as it should be.... for there is good purpose in having another goal, another meaningful measure to motivate and move one.
Yes, mountains beyond mountains is a good thing.


2 comments:

Daniel B. said...

Wow. My dad is a blogger....

Joy said...

Is it just me or is there not very much snow on Mt. Rainier? Is it always like that in August-September?